This article reviews the EESA section (Early Echoic Skills Assessment). One of the 16 areas, the echoic, includes the EESA developed by Dr. Barbara Esch, SLP-CCC, BCBA-D.
Overview - Access Level
- Click the assessment date link on the main VB-MAPP page. The assessment opens.
NOTE: click the Information icon at the top of the assessment to access the official VB-MAPP guide for EESA. See Chapter 3.
- EESA is the second section on the right side of the screen. Click the Begin button to begin scoring the section or the Resume button to continue scoring an assessment in progress.
- There are five echoic skill measurement groups.
See Chapters 8 & 9 to learn more about interpreting EESA scores to learn more about each measurement.
- Each measurement shows the score for each assessment entered for the student. Assessments are numbered in the grid (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.) and are based on the order they were entered on the main VB-MAPP table.
For example, the score for EESA Group 2 of the 3rd assessment here, is then calculated into the total EESA score for the 3rd assessment entered on the main table in the second screenshot. When you open an assessment from the table it automatically opens that assessment.
Each measurement has two tabs: Scoring and Notes. If you need more info Click each tab to see specific information.
Scoring - point breakdown and explanation for scoring the measurement.
The scoring measurements are:
- 0 = 0 points - no response, incorrect vowels, or missing syllables
- / = .5 points - recognizable response, but incorrect or missing consonants or extra syllables
- X = 1 point - correct sounds and correct number of syllables
- Click Score Entire Group 0 or Score Entire Group X to score the entire group accordingly.
Notes - add notes to describe important information.
For more information on Assessment Notes, see VB-MAPP Assessment Notes.
Navigation - Scoring
See Chapter 3 in the VB-MAPP Guide to learn more about scoring the EESA section.
- Point value scoring options for each measurement are: 0, /, X.
Score the assessment according to the appropriate criteria for the client.
- As measurements are scored, the score for that group appears in the assessment grid next to the measurement.
- Total scores for each of the 5 groups are added together to give you a final EESA score which displays on the VB-MAPP main page.
- As you score the EESA assessment, the scores will auto populate and score concurrently in the Echoic domain in the Milestones Assessment section.