A Functional Assessment of a Behavior (aka Functional Behavioral Assessment or FBA) is an assessment of the relationship between a person’s Target Behaviors and their environment.
Different levels of an FBA include indirect sources of information (e.g., interviews, questionnaires, rating scales, etc.), descriptive sources of information (e.g., direct observations, data collection of antecedents, behaviors and consequences, or “ABC” data), and experimental sources of information, which are often referred to as functional analyses. When conducting Functional Analyses, Antecedents and Consequences are manipulated in a controlled manner in an attempt to isolate their effects on Target Behavior(s).
Note: To learn more about performing a Functional Analysis in the app, please visit Functional Analysis Assessment on the App documentation.
Functional Analyses can be designed to include a variety of different Conditions. The Catalyst Functional Analysis tools have been designed with preset defaults to include the following conditions, which are most widely used and supported by the most empirical evidence.
Note: To learn more please visit Conditional Defaults.
Access Functional Analysis subtab from the Assessment tab in the Student Section. The Assessments tab is also available on tablet devices.
- Scroll to bottom of page and click Setup New Functional Analysis.
- Enter Functional Analysis Assessment Information:
*Denotes Required Field
- *Name - Will appear as graph title (may desire to include identifies fischer as date, etc.)
- *# of Sessions per Condition - Number of sessions to include in EACH separate Condition. Users can manually order or randomize the order of these sessions.
- *Session Duration per Condition - Duration, in minutes, for each session.
Note: Should scorers terminate a session early, they must enter a reason and data will NOT be saved.
- Behaviors - Behaviors to include in Assessment.
Note: For accuracy, do not include more than one behavior.
- Conditions - Conditions to include in the Assessment. Users can manually order or randomize the order of these conditions.
3. Click Save.
4. Manage the session order by clicking the Up and Down Arrows.
Note: Click Randomize Order for Catalyst to create a random session order.
5. Click Close.
Note: Click Actions to Add Sessions, Archive Functional Analysis, or View Notes.
- Click on desired Assessment.
- A window will appear where user can view and analyze Functional Analysis data.
Note: View defaults to a Frequency graph.
- Click the Graph dropdown arrow to select another graph view.
- OR click Annotations, Conditions, Behaviors, Technical Indicators, or Chart Settings to alter the graph view.